Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dainese's Erik Nelson MSC #2 Race Report



Hey guys


First off I want to say thank you for your continued support, you make things more possible every day.


This past weekend was the first race of my moderately busy summer schedule, here is a brief report on the event.


Mountain States Cup  Nathrop, Colorado


Classes: Pro 4x & Pro Slalom


Slalom: I felt great in slalom practice as course conditions were perfect. By the time qualifying came around the course in Colorado dried out significantly. In the final turn of qualify my front wheel washed out on the dusty surface, sending me to the ground. I got up and managed to qualify 32nd, just well enough to qualify. In the first round of finals I was forced to race number 1 seed Chris Boice.  Boice managed to eliminate me by narrow margins; he then went on the win the finals. I finished a disappointing 32nd overall


4x: The mountain States Cup has implemented a new qualifying system for the 2010 season. In short it consists of three randomly generated motos for each rider, points are awarded according to placement, most points in the field qualifies first and receives lane choice.  I managed to win all three of my seeding rounds in convincing fashion. The field was then narrowed down to 32 riders from roughly 40. I qualified third ( tied with first and second).  I was feeling quite fast on my bike and nearly swept the rounds leading up to the finals, with 1 minor exception. The finals, were quite hard, the 4 riders were the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th qualifiers.  All of us riders came together on the first straight away in a tangle, by the time it was all over I cam across the line in 3rd place.


My next event takes place in two days, the Flagstaff MBAA XC race. It’s a 23 mile XC race on my home trails, the trails that I train on regularly. The XC race is Saturday with a Super D taking place on Sunday


Expect another report from this race


Erik Nelson