Sunday, July 26, 2009

Joanna Petterson takes 3rd at Mountain-Bike World Cup in Mont Ste Anne

Congrats to Dainese's Jojo Petterson for her 3rd place finish in the UCI World Cup 4X round at Mt Sainte Anne in Quebec, Canada on Saturday.


Jojo's race report:

"Mont Ste Anne is the stage for the 2010 World Championships and in preparation for the event the organizers have spent a lot of time on all the race tracks. The DH track had extensive time and energy spent on it, with some great new changes, fun sections and more jumps. 4X was redesigned from top to bottom and now includes two good rock sections.
I started the weekend on my new 2010 SuperTeam frames, making a change to how I set up the DH bike I was feeling good in DH and felt strong heading into qualifying. As it seems to go for us this year, it started raining half an hour before our qualifying began. My run began a bit on the cautious side to feel out the conditions, but after a few moments I realized it was still pretty tacky so I let the brakes go a bit and hit my lines. But as it goes, in a really fast section I ended up losing my traction in a fast berm and completely came off the bike. I jumped up and grabbed my bike, straightened my bars and headed back on track. I had broken a pedal though and came unclipped in the rock section, losing more time. From then on I knew I wasn’t going to make the cut, but I pushed as hard as I could and crossed the line without qualifying for finals.
In the process I managed to sprain my wrist slightly, so for 4X I was taking it easy to see if I was able to hang on. Good thing I did. Racing started Saturday with a round of 16 for the women, 4 heats. My first heat I was 2nd to Anneke Beerten, and the next heat was going to be a challenge. I was up against Anita Molcik, Anneke Beerten and Melissa Buhl. Taking outside lane choice I had to find a passing opportunity. In the first turn I was in 4th just looking for a pass, Anita slid out and I passed her on the first berm. Following Anneke and Melissa I took the outside through the rock garden while Melissa took the inside. Unfortunately for Melissa she went down hard in the rock section and I passed her there.
I was into the finals with Anneke, Jill Kintner and Fionn Griffiths.
Again I had the outside lane choice so passing would be my only opportunity for finishing better than 4th. We started and headed down with myself in 4th. I followed the pack looking for a pass. Anneke and Jill took the inside line on the jump section and Fionn and I headed outside for the big double. On the lip of the jump, Fionn slid out with a rear flat and I narrowly avoided her and cleared the jump, pulling into 3rd. Ahead in the berm Jill had crashed and I wasn’t able to pass her, so Fionn snuck around us and I was back into 4th. Jill and I pedaled for the finish and I was again unable to pass, when Jill took another painful sounding crash and I was able to pass her taking finishing 3rd.
The racing was great and I think everyone needs to be congratulated on a great course and some really fun competition.
Thanks to everyone for their continued support.
Now I’m after No.1 ! "