Monday, June 15, 2009

Dainese riders Rossi and Lorenzo give a racing lesson at MotoGP of Catalunya

Fiat Yamaha, and Dainese riders, Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo offered the crowd and fans one of the most epic racing battles of the decade when they took it to the final corner at Montmelo, for the 2009 MotoGP of Catalunya, this past Sunday.

VR46 passes Lorenzo in the last corner, signing his second victory of the season and tying in points and race wins with his teammate and Ducati's Casey Stoner.

The GP in Montmelo marked Valentino's 99th race win.

The last lap...



Valentino Rossi - 1st

“As we say in Italy, “Mamma Mia!” I think I can honestly say that this was one of the best and hardest wins of my career. Maybe Laguna last year was more important but this was a great, great victory because it went to the very last corner and it’s a long time since that has happened. I have dreamed about that move for the last two weeks and today it worked and I am so happy to have this 99th win. We did a perfect job all weekend and my M1 and Bridgestone tyres were brilliant, but we knew that Lorenzo was in the same situation and for sure he was very strong today. I had to be very brave and take it right to the limit in order to beat him. This victory today is more important than the 25 points and anyway now we all have the same, what a championship this is! As well as thanking my team, I especially want to dedicate this win to my Crew Chief Jeremy Burgess because his mother sadly died yesterday. I have to say thank you to her and to him because without him, for sure, I would never have arrived at 99 wins. Now I am going to go to sleep for quite a long time because I need to recover from this excitement!”

Jorge Lorenzo – 2nd

“This was an incredible battle today and a brilliant show for everyone, I am happy to have been a part of it. Of course I am sad to have lost because I put my heart on my bike and in my career I am more used to winning these last-lap fights, but today Valentino was maybe a little bit cleverer or a little bit braver than me at the very end and he was able to beat me. In fact during that last lap, after I passed him, I expected him to pass me back on the brakes much earlier but he didn’t come, and then I just didn’t close the line enough on the final corner and that was it. I am proud however because I am young and I still have a lot to learn in this class. My team have worked so well all weekend so thanks to them, if we can continue as strongly as this all season then who knows what can happen?”